September 7, 2012

Ran Dank again

 
Ran Dank's musicianship and instrumental craft continue to elicit my undiminished admiration.  Everything about Dank's music-making strikes me as remarkably natural: his seemingly effortless but never showy technique, unobtrusively beautiful tone, intelligent but not studied approach to phrasing and dynamics, and pervasive yet restrained lyricism that never ventures toward sentimentality.  These qualities are also evident in Dank's performance of Bach's Fourth Partita, a live recording from the 2009 Van Cliburn Competition, which is new to my blog.  I also include Dank's performance of two preludes and fugues from the Well-Tempererd Clavier (E flat minor from Book 1 and C major from Book 2) recorded live at the 2007 Cleveland Piano Competition (where Dank received 4th Prize).       

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you...your words whet my appetite to hear...a mixed sensory metapohor to be sure but nontheless true.

RonanM said...

Keen to hear this, which is downloading as we speak.

You should try Fission, which allows you to edit audio files losslessly. You'll need a Mac, but it's useful for other things too.

Will search for that Fellner this weekend.

RonanM said...

Beautiful playing! I like a little more utter madness in the gigue (it's an utterly crazy subject!) but the sarabande is spellbinding. He has such a sense of the ebb and flow of the music. A young man to watch!

Boom said...

Ronan,

Do check out Dank's other recordings on my blog. No wonder Emanuel Ax - one my favorite pianists - thinks so highly of this young pianist.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, Dank did not advance past the Semifinal Round at the 2009 Cliburn, apparently in part because of a Liszt "Norma" and Scriabin 9th Sonata the Judges marked down , both at YT.

David said...

Thanks for this recording - a first encounter with Dank for me, but WOW that's some Bach. I've always struggled with the French overture, but I have a feeling this version might be my way 'in' over a few more listens! The partita is lovely!