June 30, 2012

Famous first words...


A few days ago I had my first (and hopefully the only) major surgery.  The reason was not life threatening, but the operation still required very deep general anesthesia.  After the surgery, when I regained a tentative and hazy post-anesthesia grasp on reality in the Intensive Care Unit, the first thing I saw was the love of my life being led toward me by an ICU nurse.  When she reached my bed, and before I could even stretch my parched lips into a weepy smile, the love of my life turned to the nurse and asked:  So, where is the plug?

6 comments:

jbrahms said...

Talk about a near death experience!

Remiller4 said...

Damn, that's cold! Hope you're doing better. Rob

Cleveland Okie (Tom Jackson) said...

Glad you got through the surgery OK.The only time I had major surgery, I brought a cheap MP3 player along so I could listen to Beethoven as they were putting me under.

laybl said...

We were watching a video of comedian Steven Wright, yesterday. His act began with, "I wanted my first word when I was born, to be 'Quote'...I would then, someday, make my last word before dying, "Unquote".

john schott said...

Hi Boom, hope you're making a speedy recovery. I saw the NYPhil play Gruppen and Rituel at few nights ago, scoring a ticket at the very last possible second. I must say it was pretty damn incredible. So many great players in that band! I wonder if a major orchestra in the U.S. has EVER played Gruppen before?
Neither of those pieces are my favorites by either composer, but I doubt I'll ever get to hear them live again. Ritual really "works" but it's kind of an easy piece, Boulez's Bolero.

Take care,
JS

RMC said...

Take good care of yourself, then! And maybe use the excuse to wimp out of things for a while and read the big books you have been meaning to…