August 26, 2017

Hearing is believing


My bottomless contempt for commercial recordings of art music is well documented in this blog.  Yet even I would not have believed that this level of incompetence could be found in a CD released by one of the oldest and biggest classical labels, EMI.
     Here are the last 12 seconds of the piano solo from the Siciliano of Bach's Keyboard Concerto BWV 1053, recorded (digitally!) in the late 1980s by Andrei Gavrilov and Neville Marriner.  What happens with the entrance of the orchestra is something for which (in my opinion) the producer and the engineer/editor of this recording should have been shot without trial (along with countless so-called record critics/reviewers who never mentioned such an obvious case of gross incompetence).

This industry, which has shamelessly fucked the paying public so much and for so long, surely deserves its nearly complete disintegration from online piracy.

3 comments:

Bill said...

OK, I'm tone deaf and/or retarded..... I don't hear anything wrong. Please enlighten me.

Boom said...

Bill,
The orchestra should enter (softly) on the downbeat at 11.2 sec. in my clip. Which it does. But then the orchestra and the piano enter AGAIN at 11.85 sec. - out of sync, and at badly mismatched volume level (about 20% too loud, from a different take stitched by some moron employed by EMI).

If you want to hear the correct entry, try this studio recording by Perahia, where the orchestra enters at exactly 4m:00sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr7JHIbUaEc

Bill said...

Whew! I feel better. I did notice *that* but somehow .... maybe.... it was supposed to be like that. It did seem odd but hey... what do I know? Thanks for the elucidation.